The recent raids across the Mumbai city to close in on illegal activities of sex determination are not shocking. Sex determination with an objective of killing an unborn girl child is painfully undesirable but not shocking. In the pre-sonography days a girl child was brutally murdered after birth. Now, in the digital age a girl child’s right to birth itself is denied.
There are a lot of statistics of falling sex ratios and social consequences of evident imbalance in the sex ratio. But is a girl’s life all about statistics? Is it all about so-called social justifications that in India female infanticide is high because of deep-rooted tradition of son preference, expected dowry liabilities etc.
At the end of the day women are still looked upon as objects. Objects that could be manipulated and objectified by anyone.
I found the following meaning of objectification on Wikipedia.
- Instrumentality – if the thing is treated as a tool for one’s own purposes;
- Denial of autonomy – if the thing is treated as if lacking in agency or self-determination;
- Inertness – if the thing is treated as if lacking in agency;
- Ownership – if the thing is treated as if owned by another;
- Fungibility – if the thing is treated as if interchangeable;
- Violability – if the thing is treated as if permissible to damage or destroy;
- Denial of subjectivity – if the thing is treated as if there is no need to show concern for the ‘object’s’ feelings and experiences.
- Instrumental– A tool for Procreation, Sexual pleasures !
- Denial of autonomy– A mother being denied her right to let her female offspring survive. Denial of choices in life !
- Ownership-Owned by parents, husband, in-laws. societal norms, religious authorities. Physically and mentally !
- Fungibility– Interchangeable- Boy as against a girl. Chocolate ice cream v/s a Strawberry ice cream. Easy isn’t it !
- Voilability– A woman can be used, abused, raped; no questions asked !
- Denial of subjectivity– No concern for the pain and tribulations of an unborn foetus, no concern for the mother’s feelings and life long experiences of guilt !
Silent Cry-In the darkness of a Womb
Deep in the darkness of the womb,
A baby is sleeping, in it’s cosy room.
Mother will keep baby warm,
And take care it, to keep it away from all the harms
The baby’s arrival will bring everyone joy,
With mixed curiosity, whether it’s a girl or a boy.
Cos, if it’s a boy, it’s a matter of pride,
And if it’s a girl, then she will be a liable bride.
So they try to detect the sex of the child,
And to know that she is a girl, drives them wild.
As Prevention is better than cure,
They say abortion is the only cure.
The baby’s cries echoes in the womb,
Mother would you let me die in your womb.
But, there is no one to hear the Silent cry,
It is there all alone; and it is just a futile try.